Monday, April 25, 2011

while making a baby...

While making a baby for biology tomorrow, I decided to lurk on facebook (and take a break from my How I Met Your Mother marathon. Almost done Season 5...I'm insane now).

I came upon a facebook page: Ulzzang Contest
No offence, I find those people trying to be Ulzzangs very shallow. Ulzzang is basically a term (Korean I think?) you use to call a beautiful girl or 'hawt' guy. There are many internet idols or Ulzzangs these days. And people like...are fans over them, following their facebook or journals and just places where they can upload pictures of themselves daily.

I think it's because of my discovery of Ulzzangs last year that got me a little over Korean things.

As you may or may not know...I am a little anti-plastic surgery. Like, of course, I know people do plastic surgery after terrible accidents and I don't mind that. But if people do plastic surgery just to look 'perfect' because they're unsatisfied with their nose or their eyes aren't big enough, I honestly hate that.
I just think plastic surgery is just a way for people to escape from reality and encourages others to do the same. It's like a drug...

Anyways, the Ulzzang contest on facebook is encouraging people to take pictures and post it on facebook for people to vote and 'like'. The more 'like' you get, the bigger chance you get winning. And I just find that shallow, sorry to say. I mean, putting a picture of yourselves to millions of people to see...and if they don't think you're 'pretty' enough to qualify as THE ulzzang, they don't 'like' you.
How awful the girls who didn't get enough 'likes' must feel? Seeing themselves get compared with another girl side by side.

Another point that horrifies me about Ulzzangs is just that...people photoshop and put on SO much make-up, it's insane. They become an entirely different person. You can google some Ulzzang tutorials (Came across a few anti Ulzzang forums and they showed these before and after photos). -sigh- How can anyone live by pretending to be someone they're not...
so without make up and photoshop, they can't live?

When will the message: 'It doesn't matter.' finally reach everyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment