Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My heart goes out to those in the Philippines

Thinking about it now, so many tragic natural disasters have been happening...and here, where I live, we are long over due for one.  The little paranoid voice in me has always been anticipated, after hearing from many scientist reports and such, that an earthquake might hit here...or an tsunami. And knowing how this city is built on sand...and is under sea level, we won't be able to survive it...it would be so chaotic. And that freaks me out...

It always feels like if one hits here...it's going to be a big one.

What I didn't think was that such a disastrous typhoon, way worse than hurricane Katrina, would hit the Philippines.  Just seeing a few imagines and hearing the statistics already horrifies me and pains me to think about how much worse it must be there.  For people to be raiding food trucks, struggling to survive and to see their home and families torn apart.  Especially knowing and having many Filipino friends, I know they cherish their family and friends a lot...and are so close to their family...
I'm not close to understanding how much this tragedy would impact them.  As for the rest of us? Well....10,000 people just disappeared from the face of this earth.   That's the impact.  In a second...lives are gone and won't ever return.

-sigh- 

With the tsunami that happened in Japan, now the typhoon in the Philippines, and before that...in Haiti and in Thailand...all these natural disasters occurring in the East...I can't help but feel this awful gut feeling...this weird premonition that something big will hit the West.
The peace that we're so fortunate to attain is a little too good to be true. It's scary...

No comments:

Post a Comment