Wednesday, March 7, 2012

would like to make a note about the Invisible Children group

Although I think it's great that awareness for the Kony movement is growing each day, personally, I don;t believe one should mindlessly donate.

I still have yet to do research on the Invisible Children group so I have not yet donated.  I think before you donate or support a foundation, research should really be made.  Is all your money going to the cause you want it to go? Or will it just be going to more advertising and to pay the 'volunteers'?

I think it's issues like these that makes me very skeptical about donating.  For instance, to me, I think World Vision is really just for show.  More than half the money is going towards the hours-long advertisements they broadcast on television in order to tickle our sympathetic side and draw money from our wallets.  Perhaps the money is going to the kids in need, but how much of it?  I feel that all the money that my family has donated is going towards the plane ticket for the volunteer and for THEIR food and for the pamphlets, the advertisements, the photographs, the postcards, and all the media outlets they use.  I feel that we are funding their ads and not necessary supporting the people in need of help.

I guess that's why, to me, helping at World Vision is really a phoney.  I feel like it;s just for show.  It's just so I can say: "Oh my gosh, I help at world vision and I'm raising awareness!" when I'm not really doing anything...
Just using a big company name to make my resume look good.

A little harsh, but that's the harsh reality of these big support groups.  They're only big because they make us sympathize through the ads we're, in a sense, paying. If not, why do we 'select' a child?  I want to help the children so they are able to have privileges all children should have access to, so what different does it make for me to choose which kid I want to help?  Choose a child who looks 'better' and abandon the other? Choose a child because he/she looks more sympathetic?  We should not be choosing.  We should be helping.

Using their situation and further emphasizing on their unfortunates in order to draw more money from us...is that really helping the situation?

Just kind of want to point that out to whoever reads this, just so we're not throwing money at big companies for rich people to swim in...but rather actually support the cause we intentionally wanted to support.

Research who you are donating to and what you are supporting before jumping the bandwagon.
The intention of arresting Kony and helping the Child Soldiers is a good start.  But is supporting the Invisible Children group and bringing military intervention to a country where the government is in doubt really what you want to throw your money at?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe this will be helpful!
    http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
    read this the other day

    ReplyDelete